Monday, December 6, 2010

Back to Cambodia

Back to Cambodia but not yet. Online video can be very useful to libraries but I'm not sure about videoing things like storytime. When my son was little he loved storytime but I don't think I would have sat him down in front of a computer screen to watch a video of it, even if he had missed the real thing that day. I would have preferred to have read him a book myself. It may be better to video other events in the Library but only if it is something that would attract a healthy number of people. Something like a cooking demonstration may be useful but then again there is already so much of this online.
We have to make sure if we're using video that they add real value to our service by reaching out to alot of people.

I believe video could be used to record oral histories of people in the area or libraries could even start a project of recording introductions to the library in different languages and let the different cultural and migrant organisations know. Some libraries have tried having pamphlets about their libraries translated into different languages only to discover that many of the people they were targetting were illiterate. Video would solve this problem.

Here's a quirky US band with a Cambodian born female singer. They play kind of Cambodian psychedelic music and they've just made a documentary of a trip they made through Cambodia. Here is a promo for it. I saw them originally on the Jools Holland show which is a great music show that introduces you to new artists but also has the legends as well.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea about videoing oral histories, that could be a fantastic resource online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is a good idea about recording oral histories for the local history collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your video. I also think the Jools Holland music show is pretty cool!!

    ReplyDelete